No-one said it was going to be easy. This is the ongoing story of The Disco Students - from Aylesbury 1978 to today, now. www.myspace.com/2006discostudents

Monday, January 02, 2006


Review just in from Belgian music ezine Dogmatik. Seem to know what they're on about.
http://www.dogmatik.be/

Upon receipt of this CD I definitely expected some typical kitschy disco-like beat project that at best might have tried to give 70's extravaganza an additional touch of modernity and contemporary originality to actualize it once more. I was immediately awaken after listening to the first notes of the opening track. Maybe these guys at one point did study disco, but they definitely were raised on another sound ! What I heard reminded me of bands like "Pink Turns Blue", "The Beloved" and "The Shamen". These guys have listened to alternative music from the early 90's. A good opening track "My Black Girlfriend" and I am on the tip of my chair. On to "Mark e. Smith's Dead (version)". A different story as I get a load of guitars this time riffing and howling their guts out in lo-fi. For this track I found myself back in the tradition of "The Wire", "The Buzzcocks", a raw version of "The Cure" or "The Slits". Great traditional raw powerful punk-inspired rock without complexities and or trickery. The third track "My Secretary" takes us back to "Pink Turns Blue", "Plan B", "The Romeos" (remixed by Coldcut) and is a fat, raw, electronic piece of Indie-extravaganza. Next up is "The Most Handsome Man on T.V. (version)" which is simply a return to track 2 in style. More guitar powered punk-rock with a clear reference to "Joy Division". It could have passed for a early demo of "The Smiths" just before they smoothened out their sound, or as it was captured on the Peel Session's version of "What Difference Does it Make ?". The following is a modern electro tune with a rave melody and singing in the tradition of Manchester. Electro-wave in a modern jacket with a brit-pop flavour. "Nice Little Bust" is a piece of weird alternative "Flying Pickets" close harmony singing... To top off this EP there is "My Lesbian Sister" which is inspired again by "Pink Turns Blue" or "The Beloved". This one gets closer to EBM then the previous tracks.

Overall I would definitely go and check out these guys live if I had an opportunity. They are fantastic. They bring back some old traditions and sounds but they have managed to mix it all into a distinct sound which is their own. An achievement and the ingredients which made bands such as "Franz Ferdinand" or "The Kaiser Chiefs" stand out from the pack. Their tracks still need some work, their production is not entirely fine-tuned (but then again I think that the raw, sometimes distorted sound is a surplus to their sound). I will keep following this band and I strongly recommend lovers of all bands name in the review to do the same. It is not everyday punk, nor is it plain rock... It is all about a band doing their distinct own thing, with a specific individual sound full of references however to the alternative scenes of the past 20 years.



Reviewed by The Avenger

No comments: